I’ve spent the past couple of weeks starting Smolov, which is a roughly 13 week intense squat cycle. There is a lot of hate on the program, so I’d thought I’d share my journey as I complete it. I’m about to start week three, and having a lot of fun. I’ve been getting some hate for it (mostly from men) and I’d like to share my experience of the female powerlifter and this intense squat routine (we all know women are strong than men lololol)
There are several things I do, that I think give me a running start.
1. I calculate my max off of my daily max rather than my all time max. For example, I’ve squatted 250 once in my life; however, I’ve hit 240 several times with comfort and I think I could hit it almost every day so this is the number I calculate from.
2. I eat – everything. Recovery is key when doing any intense exercise. Eating aids recovery – so do it. It will save you.
3. Mobility/Active recovery – I practice yoga and stretch daily to make sure my body is symmetrical and ready for the next work out.
Naturally, @barbellbrigade gets new @roguefitness #jerkblocks and I decide to climb on them and break out some #splits. What else would you use these for?? >< #barbellbrigade #girlswhopowerlift #olympicweightlifting #powerlifting #yoga #humanasana #gymnasty #mobility #CrossFit #kilosnotpounds #barbellbabes
4. Sleep – a lot
5. No Deadlifts: The only other thing I’m doing really is bench pressing – and you don’t really have to but I like to and my bench is doing really well.
Eight sets of four at 120lbs. Got an 'a-okay' from @a_little_stray ! Training partners are the best, always keeping you on your toes. Also, lol this is my best meet bench press, my oh my how far I've come! #smolovjr #bench #howmuchyabench #barbellbrigade #girlswholift #girlswhopowerlift #liftheavydoyoga #powerchick #usapl #114weightclass
6. Adjust to volume: Even though I’ve only been powerlifting for about 8 months, I’ve been lifting weights for about four years, and before that I played sports. I’m an athlete – my body is used to be abused. I’ve been squatting four days a week for a while now. I also did two mini cycles before to test out the waters.
Conclusion: It’s difficult, but that doesn’t mean its bad. It doesn’t work for everyone but that doesn’t mean it wont work for you.
I’ll check in every other week. I fully intend on completing the program unless I feel like it’s not working out.